Preparing for the Iowa Caucus

James Cravatas '18

The Iowa caucus has long been one of the most important events in electing the President of the United States. At the caucus, the Democrats and Republicans nominate politicians from their party to run for president. At the end of the caucus they decide who will be the presidential candidates for the parties.

The Republican party has many nominees, but the front runners for the presidential candidate spot are Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, Mike Huckabee, George Pataki, Rick Santorum, Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz, Rick Scott, and Scott Walker. On March 7th and 8th they addressed 900 other Republicans at the Iowa Ag Summit to gain support for their campaigns. But the real news at the caucus, is the lack of a Democratic presence.

The Democratic Party has not yet shown a heavy presence in Iowa, as the Republicans have. It is also not completely clear who are the nominees for the party. Although Hillary Clinton, former First Lady and Secretary of State, has not formally announced whether or not she will be running for the presidency, she has strongly hinted towards it, and according to NPR, a credible news website, it is a foregone conclusion that she will run for president. Joe Biden, the current Vice President with Barack Obama, is also thinking of running. They both were nominees for the presidential race in 2008, but never made it passed the caucus. But now, they are two of the most well-known people in the Democratic party and they both have gained a following of supporters for their campaigns.