Lady Hilltoppers Claim Victory on Senior Night

Lady Hilltoppers huddle up preparing for the second half

Ruben Roman '16

Ruben Roman '16

Ruben Roman '16, Sports Editor

Central’s girl soccer team entered Thursday’s game with the mindset of having fun and that’s exactly what they did. As soon as the whistle was blown the girls were off! The Hilltoppers managed to come away with four shots within the first five minutes of the game compared to Trinity Catholic’s zero. They held the ball and didn’t have to play defense for the first fifteen minutes of the game.

Time after time the Hilltoppers got within striking distance, put up a shot and barely missed. The players, the coaches and basically everyone in the stadium became restless. It seemed as if there was a force field surrounding the goal and it wouldn’t allow Central to put the ball in the back of the net.

After about 20 minutes of non-stop offense for Central, Trinity Catholic managed to sneak the ball away from the Hilltoppers and attempt to switch the momentum of the game in their favor. However, this was a short-lived attempt thanks to Central’s defensive pressure.

Led by seniors Shannone Hawkins and track star Thea Stephens, Central was able to stop Trinity Catholic’s offensive run. Stephens’ speed allowed her to clean up some of the errors made by Central as she covered an insane amount of ground in what seemed to be merely a few seconds. Hawkins was frustrating Trinity Catholics strikers with her aggressive, physical and crafty defensive play.

After a while Central seemed to get into the swing of things offensively and began converting on their opportunities. #4 Katherine Garcia led the Hilltoppers offensively with the help of senior Dayanna Mazo. Mazo was avoiding three and four defenders at a time with amazing ball control and foot speed. Play after play Mazo was setting up her teammates with great passes and excellent field position. Garcia played well off the ball and got in position to receive the ball throughout the game which allowed her to score two goals.

The hilltoppers won the game by a count of 3-1. One the last day of the season the Hilltoppers picked up their first victory but wasn’t the most important fact of the night.

The players on the bench stormed the field after the game and they embraced their teammates for several minutes. It was evident that soccer wasn’t the only thing the girls cared about. They built a bond that can never be broken and they had fun every time they went out on the field.

1 Comment

One Response to “Lady Hilltoppers Claim Victory on Senior Night”

1. JUDITH GONZALEZ on November 10th, 2014 1:33 pm

GREAT JOB RUBEN!

[Reply]