Girls Soccer Team Settles for a Tie

Central plays well to achieve a draw against Norwalk's soccer team.

Ruben Roman '16, Sports Editor

Central’s girls soccer team has had a rather rocky start to the season. They have struggled to slow down their opponents on offense, and have missed offensive opportunities. However, they played Norwalk with a great amount of passion on Wednesday.

By simply glancing over to Norwalk’s bench, you could tell that they were ready. You could feel their intensity and their fearlessness in the air. Then you looked about twenty yards to the right and you saw a more relaxed, playful bunch on Central’s side of the field.

Within just the first five minutes of the game, there was a sense of aggression and frustration coming from both teams. It seemed as if the pitch was rather slippery and the girls really didn’t seem to have good footing. However, this didn’t stop them from taking each other out.

Almost every other minute, a body was dropping on the field and a coach was roaring at the referees. These girls looked like they were playing football instead of soccer.

In the first half Central controlled the pace of the game. They limited Norwalk’s chances on offense and had several opportunities of their own to score. Karen Garcia managed to sneak one by Norwalk’s goalie and give the Hilltoppers a 1-0 lead going into halftime.

The second began much like the first with Central controlling the pace. Then Norwalk made its necessary adjustments and turned it around.

Norwalk was much more precise with their passes and decisions on the field. They were no longer just handing the ball over to Central; they were making them take it. Norwalk was also much more aggressive offensively.

Central seemed to be a little stunned with Norwalk’s resurgence but they hung in there. After a goal by Norwalk, Central turned up their defense and limited the number of on goal shots by Norwalk.

The Hilltoppers managed to score yet again late in the game on a penalty kick converted by #13 Karen Garcia. Norwalk matched Central with another goal of their own and the game finished in a 2-2 draw.

Overall the game was well played by both teams and there were moments where it felt like a championship game. Both teams made adjustments when they had to, and played with a lot of effort.

This is a step in the right direction for the Lady Hilltoppers as they hope to build off of this game and start picking up some wins. Who knows; maybe they will go the rest of the season undefeated and stun everyone with amazing play.

1 Comment

One Response to “Girls Soccer Team Settles for a Tie”

1. Judith Gonzalez on October 9th, 2014 10:41 am

So SooooProud of you! Great Job!

[Reply]

Girls Soccer Team Settles for a Tie