Central Prevails with Fourth Quarter Rally

Central's incredible comeback revives the entire football team along with all of its supporters.

Ruben Roman '16, Sports Editor

The Central Hilltoppers went into Friday’s game against Fairfield Ludlowe with a rather sour attitude. The team was coming off from back to back blow out losses and seemed rather aggravated with their poor play.

However, the Hilltoppers felt a sense of responsibility and pride being that this was their first game on their home field, John F. Kennedy Stadium. They wanted to represent their school and get the win.

Early on the Hilltoppers seemed a little more motivated and energetic than usual. The players were running a little faster, tackling with a little more forcefulness and there weren’t many smiles on the player’s faces as they were focused on crushing their opponents.

The first half was relatively tight with a score of 6-10 with Central trailing. Compared to their previous two games the Hilltoppers actually had a fighting chance going into the second half. Then it really got interesting.

Fairfield Ludlowe started the second half with eight unanswered points which seemed to have drained the crowd. With the score now 6-18, the Hilltoppers along with the crowd seemed to be disengaged and uninterested in the game. All that changed thanks to one young man who wasn’t going to allow Central to lose their first home game.

Mykel Morris put the Hilltoppers on his back and brought them back into the game. He led the Hilltoppers down the field and pounded the ball into the end zone for a touchdown. With the score now 18-12, the Hilltoppers were back into the game and weren’t going away this time.

With the crowd chanting “Central, Central, Central” the Hilltoppers turned up the defense and came away with an interception. Once again Mr. Morris led Central down the field for another touchdown and tied the game up at 18 all.

At this point you could feel the vibration on Central’s side of the field as nearly everyone was on their feet and cheering on the Hilltoppers. The players were now in game mode and, more importantly, in attack mode!

With some sloppy play in the third and great adjustments made by Central, Ludlowe seemed down, but not out. They too felt that they could win and weren’t going to back down, and they didn’t.

Fairfield methodically drove the ball down the field and burned a good chunk of the clock in the fourth quarter. They ended the drive with a field goal and were now up 21-18. This once again sucked the life right out of the stadium and with only about two minutes remaining it seemed almost impossible for Central to come out victorious.

Then it happened.

With the crowd now sitting and absolutely no sound on the field, the play of the game happened. The center snapped the ball back to QB Mykel Morris and he cut and spun and twisted and turned, avoiding nearly six or seven defenders in a span of only ten yards. Then he was gone like a flash of lightning. He ran the ball for 74 yards and with every step he took Mykel distanced himself several feet from the closest defender.

The crowd erupted! “WOO…YEAH…WOW!!!” Everyone, including Ludlowe, was in complete and udder amazement. Mykel Morris had one of the most outstanding runs in the state of CT this season and one of the best performances of his football career. He demonstrated his athletic abilities, his leadership skills and his will to win in this game. It seemed as if he gave everything he had that game to earn a victory.

This win may give Central some confidence going into their game next Thursday and perhaps be the start of a winning streak for the Hilltoppers. As for Ludlowe, they showed a lot of heart with their efforts Friday night and will likely bounce back with an even better performance their next game.

Thursday night is Central’s next home game as the face off against a strong opponent in Danbury. Come out and enjoy the game as it is likely going to be highly entertaining and exciting.

1 Comment

One Response to “Central Prevails with Fourth Quarter Rally”

1. Judith Gonzalez on October 10th, 2014 2:49 pm

Job well done Ruben!

[Reply]