Hilltopper Heads to Yale

Central Senior Arnold Setiadi is Headed For One of the Most Prestigious Colleges in the World!

Jada Cross '18, Staff Writer

Growing up in Bridgeport has never been easy for Arnold Setiadi; but he has never allowed any stereotypes or the disadvantages in his community to interfere with his goals. Arnold’s determination over the course of his high school career allowed him to accomplish many things, including receiving an acceptance letter to the prestigious Yale University.

In the BPT Criterion’s recent interview with Arnold, he spoke on his application process, the community’s reaction to his acceptance and gives advice to future applicants with similar goals. Arnold ambitiously began working on his Yale application the beginning of his junior year of high school. At the beginning of Senior year, Arnold made the final decision to send in his application to Yale, early action, as to have the best chance of getting in. In order to meet his goal of receiving an acceptance into Yale University, he also devoted his spare time to extra curricular activities that he enjoyed, such as the Theater Club, Tennis Team, and the Student Governance Council. Beyond extra curricular activities, Arnold spent the majority of his time helping take care of his siblings while balancing a part time job.

Along with the abundance of joy Arnold received from both his school community, and the strangers around him; majority of the joy expressed towards him was from his parents. Arnold’s mother and father trusted him enough to make his own decisions about the college application process and were absolutely thrilled by the results..

The school community that Arnold is surrounded by has helped him express himself through the abundance of opportunities and connections he has made with the staff and his peers. Arnold says, “A lot of people think Bridgeport is this bad place; but, Central High School in particular does a very good job in preparing kids and exploring their diverse interests…”

Arnolds acceptance into Yale sparked the eyes of many students younger than him; leaving them advice concluding our interview, Arnold says, “Be yourself, don’t do activities just because it sounds good, do it because you like it…Enjoy your time, work hard, be genuine, and make good connections”.

On Arnold’s most recent trip to Yale University, he met staff and students who he says were, “… so deceptively humble, supportive, nice and congenial.” He is thrilled to be apart of the Yale family and acknowledges that they embrace the idea of, “doing something and something versus the idea of something or something.” Arnold will be expanding his education for the next four years studying at Yale University. He hopes to be remembered at Central for his congeniality, and as a person who loves to help people out.

Concluding our interview, Arnold says, “Be happy, work hard, be genuine and true to yourself: don’t give into peer pressure. Just know that we are out here in Bridgeport doing good things…Don’t give into the stereotypes or whatever people say because whatever people say can’t bring us down. In the end we are Hilltoppers.”