Peek into Central’s Teachers: Ms. Bagnani

Kymani Baxter '21, Staff Writer

Today, we’re having an exclusive segment where readers can learn more about their peers and teachers around Central high school. Last week, I had the pleasure of interviewing Claire Bagnani, otherwise known as Ms. Bagnani, a congenial 9th grade physical science teacher. Below are some of the questions that I got the opportunity to ask her.

What hobbies do you have outside of school?

“I play flute and have since high school, I like knitting, and reading, watching tv, and have curled in college.”

To clarify, curling is a sport similar to hockey where the aim is to sweep a ball into the other team’s goal.

Why did you want to become a teacher?

“I wanted to be a teacher because my mom was a professor in Boston and I thought it was cool so the love of teaching just passed on to me.”

How would you describe yourself as?

“Im a ‘type A’ person. I like being organized, efficient, and detailed. I also like perfection which is both a good thing and a bad thing because it’s hard to cut myself some slack, but i’m motivated to do what I have to do.”

Where did you go to college?

“I went to Scripps college in Southern California and studied biology and anthropology.”

Why do you teach science?

“A physical science position was available, but I would like to teach biology. Also I teach science because I want to teach minorities like black, asian, or hispanic children to like science.”

How long did you teach?

Well I taught before at Grants in Philadelphia, but this is my first year at Central.”

Have you wanted to do anything other than teaching?

I had wanted to do Medical school because I like biology, however, I don’t like seeing all that blood or surgery and I don’t want to be studying forever with no off time.”

Thanks to Ms. Bagnani for taking time out of her day to let a rookie journalist like myself interview her.