Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp Review

Loanis Cabrera '18, Co-Editor-in-Chief

2017 so far has been filled with nostalgia.

With The Incredibles trailer being dropped, the new Titans show coming out, and the Mulan live action movie in production, we are seeing a lot of childhood favorites becoming modernized. One of them being Animal Crossing.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the game, it’s a simple concept. Your character moves into a new town and you have to maintain it. Whether it be planting flowers or cleaning weeds, you’ll find ways to beautify the setting. Once you get your house you’ll have to pay it off by working for the local store clerk, Tom Nook. Afterwards, you’re free to basically do whatever you want. Upgrades can be made to your house, you can collect insects, pick fruits, plant trees, decorate, go fishing, buy coffee, meet up with friends, write letters, and more. Not to forget all interactions with your animal neighbors (that’s why it’s called Animal Crossing). These animal characters hold adorable and funny conversations, and it can be very amusing getting to know them. All in all, with its unique characters and adorable, cartoon atmosphere, it’s quite a charming game and is one I hold near and dear to my heart.

I first experienced this game on a Gamecube and eventually bought the game for my 3ds which I haven’t played with in years. That being said, I was pretty surprised when I heard that Animal Crossing was coming out with a phone application. It was great to see the art and characters that truly brought this world to life for me as a kid. Of course, I had my concerns as to how much they would be able to fit into this version, but I was pleasantly surprised. On “Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp”, you run a campsite and the new goal is to invite over as many guests as you can. It contains all of the pivotal elements associated with the game such as; decorating, working, communicating, and buying. While I enjoy the characters in this game, I have to laugh at how demanding they can be. They won’t come visit your campsite unless you have specific furniture that they like and there are a lot of jokes about how blunt the animals are about it.

Initially, I spent a lot of time playing the game, but it got pretty repetitive after a while. It’s the same tasks over and over, just collecting different materials. Still though, I really enjoyed reminiscing and if you are a fan of the original games, this is definitely something you want to check out.