Filed under Headlines

The Process of Book Buying

It’s that time of year again. The leaves are falling as well as my grades may I add. Nevertheless it is time to stay wrapped in a cozy blanket and reading a good book in the comfort of our homes. Although the second part might not be on everyone’s list, but it most certainly is on mine. It is no surprise that many people don’t bother picking up a book for pure pleasure. My reason behind that is because they have yet to find the one for them. Reading doesn’t have to consist of reading a 500 page book, it could be a fairly small one. It also doesn’t have to be anything related to school, it could be of anything you desire. There is a wide range  of books and genres to choose from. There are fictions and non-fiction, which can further break down into fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, romance, historical fiction, dramas, poetry and the list goes on.  Just as there are types of books there are plenty of authors to choose from. There are people like John Green, Rainbow Rowell, Orson Scott Card, J.K Rowling, Victoria Aveyard, Rick Riordan and plenty of other wonderful authors. I just so happened to name a few of my own favorite. Now how exactly do you find a book just for you?

1. What interests you?

This is the easiest and hardest step there is. You must first know what you like, I find it that you can correspond this with the type of movies you like.                                                                                                          ➖Do you like more action filled movies? Something that keeps you at the edge of your seat, anticipating the next thing? If so anything related to fantasy, sci-fi, or mystery can be for perfect for you!                                                                                               

➖Are you more on the sappy side? Do you prefer to watching things that are more drama filled, heartbreaks, filled with crying and creaming? Now romance, chick flick , and drama can be the perfect read for you.                                                                     

➖Do you prefer to watch documentaries ? Or watch things that relate to specific events and times ? Historical fiction would give you a mix of action but with historical background. Non-fiction would be a new guilty pleasure of yours !                                  ➖Are you the type of person who connects more on a spiritual and emotional level? Poetry would a great genre for you to explore.

1. Explore – Once you’ve decided the genre you want to dive into, just know that there are thousands of book from there on to choose from.  How will you know the book that you are looking for? Easy we live in the era that everything can be found with a click of a button. First things first always read the synopsis of a book. If it is not of your liking, put it down and try another. Eventually you are bound to find an interesting book. You can also go on YouTube and find reviews on different stories. (Make sure they’re  the non-spoilers, you don’t want to spoil it.)
  2. Budget – All great things come at a price and we all know how expensive books can be. The books that I typically buy range from $8- $20. Usually I read it once and stick it in my shelves to collect dust till one day I will want to re-read it. Now I’m gonna give you an important tip that I learned myself. GO TO A THRIFT STORE !!! I cannot stress this enough. You will be saving A LOT of money ! Places like Goodwill, Big Lots, the dollar store even, have books all ranging from $.50-$5 max ! The best part about this is that sometimes you’ll find books that are brand new, box sets of series, and while you’re at it you can even have a small little shopping spree.

Now that I have shared my great wisdom on finding great books just for you, I will start you off with a variety of book choices that you can consider choosing from for your book journey to begin.

• Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Mass
  • This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijamp
  • The Percy Jackson and The Olympians, The Heroes of Olympus, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan
  • Asylum series by Madeleine Roux  
  • The Maze Runner series by James Dashner
  • Their Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
  • Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling
  • Fangirl , Carry On , Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
  • Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard
  • The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
  • Sword Art Online by Reki Kawahara
  • Signs Point To Yes , A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall
  • Me and Earl and The Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
  • Boys Wanted by Flynn Meaney
  • The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks
  • Shiver series and The Raven Boys series by Maggie Stiefvater
  • Ender’s Game series by Orson Scott Card
  • Paper Towns, Looking for Alaska, Will Grayson Will Grayson, An Abundance of Katherines and The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
  • The Future of Us  & Thirteen Reasons why by Jay Asher
  • Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
  • I Wrote This For You, I Wrote This For You and Only You, I Wrote This For You: Just The Words by Iain S.Thomas
  • New American Best Friend by Olivia Gatwood
  • Whisky Words and a Shovel Volume I, II, III by r.h. Sin
  • The War of The Worlds by H.G. Wells