Filed under Headlines

Is Destiny 2 Worth the Money?

SPOILERS AHEAD!

One of September’s most anticipated video games was Destiny 2, the sequel to Destiny and its expansions. Destiny 2 claimed that it introduced a rich cinematic story unlike Destiny 1. And it had claimed that it fixed a lot of the problems of the old game like story, game play and other quality fixes. Most gaming magazines and websites have regarded it as an amazing game way better than the first.

I’m here to research if its true so you don’t have to. 

Problems with Destiny 1:                                                              

The main problems of destiny were the story and pvp, I experienced 3 years of destiny and it was basically a beta. Destiny released with a bunch of loose plot holes and left a lot of questions unanswered, like what the speaker monologues about at the beginning of the game and this character named the stranger. Players played through the main  campaign of the game and felt that they never got attached to any of the characters  because the only time you see them is when you need to turn in bounties or quests. The “stranger” character literally shows up in the middle of the story and says “I don’t have time to explain why I don’t have time to explain” and that seems like lazy writing because at the end of the campaign, after you beat The Darkness– the main boss which was just a glob of black stuff that possessed some statues, she says the real battles are out there and everyone is left with questions about “The Stranger”. The developers could have added a few levels to explain, even if it was after you defeat The Darkness. The levels and game play were very repetitive and boring because all you did was let our “ghost” (your robot companion) scan things and you kill all the enemies, which gets boring after a few levels. I remember wanting to quit two planets in because I felt that it wasn’t fun. This goes for the first two expansions The Dark Below and the House of Wolves. Throughout the game the best experiences are the raids because they include more than just protecting your ghost and killing enemies. There are intricate level designs and different mechanics that make the raids exponentially more fun than the story. The problem was that you need 6 people to play a raid without cheating or glitches. The problem was that many destiny players were solo players or didn’t have 6 friends to play with at once. (and veterans will know that for crota you would get kicked without a Gjallarhorn). The Taken King rolls out around 2015 and that makes Destiny feel like it has taken a step in the right direction. However, it failed to make you care about any character but the exo robot Cayde-6 and maybe Eris Morn who helps you learn more about the hive to take out the Taken King. Taken king is mostly the same except for that fact and the mission lost to light where you get the infamous Black Spindle. This was like a Destiny 1 mission, kill then scan then kill. Instead the mission appears as if it was finished but suddenly your connection to anything outside the temple that you’re in is cut off and you have to run so you don’t end  up getting trapped and killed by the hive. Again like in the previous expansions, the raid was the best level of the Taken King expansion that a lot of people (including myself) had not been given the chance to complete people get kicked for being too low level or if they don’t have a microphone. Because communication is a really important aspect of these raids just like anything that you need a team to complete it. The next expansion was the Rise of Iron  which revolved in one of the enemies finding a new substance of nanotechnology called Siva and used it to augment themselves. The game in terms of story had fallen back to the regular Destiny standards because the story was too short an opinion expressed by many players. It also makes you do what according to the main hero of this expansion “what thousands of others” couldn’t do even though they all attacked at once and i’m pretty sure they weren’t rookie guardians like you the player would be. Knowing that their immersion had been shattered some players gave up the story and just played pvp and the new raid the wrath of the machine one of Bungie’s greatest feats because the music greatly compliments the atmosphere of the raid. On top of that, the raid gives new mechanics that people haven’t seen before. Thought they were small they were minor changes that affected people’s feelings about the raid.

Destiny 2

Destiny 2 is obviously a great game and improves on the original in all the ways that matter. The controls are solid, and for someone who isn’t the best at first person shooters like myself, they feel intuitive and positively responsive. The graphics, while not running at 4k 60fps, are well-drawn and well-directed, a whole variety of landscapes are shimmering in extraterrestrial glory. Composition-wise, Destiny 2’s soundtrack is art in every sense of the idea, filled with amazing horn passages and the best string work I’ve heard in a game. I have played Destiny 2 for a few weeks and finished the story on all three classes and unlocked all 9 sub classes. If you’ve played as well, I’m pretty sure you know what i’m talking about. Destiny 2 does a lot of things better than Destiny 1 in almost every way. For one, the story is somewhat cohesive now and more immersive than the first game, the pvp feels more smooth and plays well. Destiny 2 suffers from the same problems that many fantasy games and other pieces of fiction do. Its history is too complicated for its own good, too intricate to be interesting.. Dialogue is peppered with too much in-world vocabulary and nonsense, and the way acquaintances casually sound off about the obviously obscure things happening within their universe often leaves me pointlessly overwhelmed and ultimately bored. I mean, I hear the words and I see the events happening, but I’m not attached to any of the characters or the setting, so none of it means very much. If you’re going to present me with several sinister alien races to fight against, make the battle personal. Make the conflict heavy and the resolutions satisfying. As it stands, I’m just blasting down wave after wave of Fallen creatures with no perceived motivation. Are the Fallen actually evil? Do they have any redeeming qualities? Do they possess any depth beyond plasma blasts and incessant screeching? Sure, there’s mission dialogue and objectives that point me in the right direction, even tell me that the Fallen are bad and that bad things need to be killed, but it all feels strangely hollow.