Filed under Central, Culture, Headlines

A Generation of Stress

Over the years, teens have reportedly been less carefree than they were years before. The life of teens have been filled with work, but unlike adults, school is their 9 to 5. The Agency’s stress in America survey reports that on average teens claimed to have a stress level of 5.8 out of 10 while adults claimed to have a stress level of 5.1 out of 10. Many times, adults who work with teens or have teens of their own, are unaware of how to help them in their time of need.

Unaware of the health risks of stress, parents and social workers find it hard to cope with the changes teenagers go through. This may affect their relationship status with parent or guardian, and could even lead to illness, and depression.

Often times, the main benefactors of stress in teenagers come from their home and school lives. Teenagers often feel stressed when they feel separated from their family, their friend group, their sports, or even their school events. This causes negative stress when the students feel threatened or not in control of the situation. Positive stress comes from a person who feels stimulated or in control of a situation. For example, when teens are in a positive atmospheric class, or having a good relationship with parents or family members.

Sending teens positive and motivating  messages, or simply talking to them about their day or their  feelings can help teens cope with stress. A lot of times teens feel an overwhelming sense of hopelessness, but do not confide in their family or their peers because they feel they do not have anyone to talk to about something so personal. Being the person they can call at any time because they are having a rough day can definitely help them.

The average teen gets about 7.4 hours of sleep which is less than the 9-10 hours recommended by CDC. Many teens don’t know that less sleep contributes to higher stress levels. Cutting down the use of our phones, ours TV’s, and our Netflix accounts, could potentially lower our stress levels.

Being aware of ways to help teenagers and their stress level is important when either having a teen of your own, or when you are working with them. Researching ways to help or analyzing things that make them happy  can potentially improve parent and child relationships, creating a better family bond, or better school atmosphere.