Filed under Central, Headlines

Winter Worries

Winter is coming. Reprise: Winter has come.

It’s that time of year again where we all expect a certain type of weather: freezing cold or snow. And mostly everyone loves it, emphasis on “mostly”. It’s the type of weather that gets students delays and days off, only for them to shovel the thing that let them stay home the first place. It’s a strange cycle, but one that makes sense. But I would like to remind everyone of the time the snow really had Connecticut.

It was 2 years ago in a cold February. The skies were dark and the wind was howling. News channels had been predicting this kind of storm a couple of days prior. I had been in middle school around this time when I heard the announcements say that school was being dismissed early. It took the notion of me looking out the window to see why: a full scale blizzard happening outside. I took the bus home, gazing in awe of the snow flying by the window. And so I think to myself that things will tone down tomorrow

BUT NOPE. Everyone remembers what happened the next day. We ended up with 16.2 inches of snow that took out the electricity in some areas. The streets practically made it impossible for plows to move out in time, as well as for ground work. Doors were barricaded by so much snow that my dad climbed out our window to trek to our garage just for the shovel. There were two weeks of school cancellation, the second week because of Winter Break. But the snow lasted for about until March where it finally melted.

But the 2014 blizzard is something to consider for the winter. We could end up with a lot
snow this month or next year. It could even go beyond 16 inches if possible. So for now, let’s hope that the blizzards to come aren’t as freaky as February.