Filed under Central, Headlines

Survival of the FRESHest

We are almost on to the third month of the 2016-17 school year. Many of us are still in disbelief that our long anticipated summer vacation has ended already, without any notice. It pretty much seems as though we all just slid quickly through July and August in a day.
You may feel as if you did not get enough rest or you did not have the summer you imagined,  but now is not the time for you to become preoccupied with these emotions. You now have a chance to start anew and radiate positive vibes. Hence, we have created a list of back to school tips for you .
1.Start your year off with a positive attitude.
The situation you are encountering may not be the best but if you have a positive attitude then, chances are, your optimism may spark a chain reaction and result in the odds being in your favor.
2.Stay organized
Organization makes a person perhaps a million times more productive. Keep test, worksheets, handouts and other materials relating to a subject in the subject’s specific folder. Ensure that you always have stationery readily available.
3. Stay away from drama
Drama does not just walk into your life. You either create it, invite it or associate with it. High school is filled with drama, but please remember it is not your obligation to be involved in it.
4. Choose the right crowd
It is true, you are your friends. You become more like the people you hang around each and every day. It is imprudent to befriend people who aren’t on the same page as you and are leading you astray. Your definition of right and wrong may be grossly different than theirs but you feel like you fit in more under their wings and so it’s difficult to cut them off. Well it is now or never. You may not have to stop being friends with them but spend less time with them. Associate yourself with people who encourage you to be better and do better. It’s simple, eagles soar with eagles not pigeons!
5. Set priorities
The onus is on you to know how to allocate your time. We all have 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week. You have to know from now whether you are going to devote all your time to your studies, social media or your friends. Setting your goals and living up to them is key if you wish to succeed.
6. Don’t procrastinate
Here’s a perfect example . You get that worksheet Monday that is due on Friday. You get home and remember for a second that you’ve got to get done with it and you say to yourself, “Oh I’ve got time!” Every day you say the same thing but today is Thursday which means it is due tomorrow and you are in awe , you cannot believe that you have just ignored it all week. Your favorite show is coming on and it’s the finale and you’ve got to watch so you say you’ll just do the worksheet at 10 p.m. It is 10 p.m.! You take up that worksheet and you can’t even answer number 1. Everybody’s probably asleep and you can’t find the answers in your textbooks. So you give up and say you’ll ask your friend for some help in the morning . When you get to school you hear that the worksheet must be handed in after quad and you can’t find your friend. You start to panic and just put in some answers . Get back the results and you failed. Procrastination is no good. Make a schedule so you keep on track .
7. Seek help
If you need some assistance with your work don’t be afraid to ask. There are many students/teachers who are willing to lend a hand. Don’t become frustrated if you don’t understand a topic. Help is always there . You may ask one person and you become discouraged because they say no but there is always a kind individual present.
8. Be involved 
Join clubs, not just to beautify your transcript or resume but to make the best use of your high school years and be proud of your accomplishments and the effect you’ve had on your school community and school life.
9. Be yourself
In a world trying to make you something you’re not the best thing to do is to be yourself. You are the author of your story . Don’t go around trying to be someone you’re not, just to please others. Define yourself and never accept anyone’s definition of you .
Be happy, love yourself , focus on your education , keep that GPA high, eat right and glow all the way up . Have a fantastic school year!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Survival of the FRESHest”

1. Kadijah on November 4th, 2016 1:20 pm

OMG mi goood gyal goodaz freind. Excuse my rae ness but girl your article is wonderful and true. Keep it up. keeping writing and speaking your mind.

[Reply]

2. Micah on November 4th, 2016 1:35 pm

Proud of you mami <3

[Reply]

Survival of the FRESHest