Filed under Headlines, POV

Hillary Clinton and her Experience

Not many people can say that they’ve held three positions in Washington. And not many presidential candidates, both in the past and present, can say that they have had as much experience in politics and government than Hillary Clinton. The Criterion has recently published a piece telling about the underdog nominee for the Democratic nomination, Senator Bernie Sanders. So now, let’s take a look at the front runner for the nomination, Secretary Hillary Clinton.

Hillary Clinton was born in Chicago, Illinois, but grew up in the suburbs outside the city. Clinton has for a long time shown an interest in politics. She attended Wellesley College in 1965 and majored in political science, and even became president of the Wellesley Young Republicans group. But her political views started to change with the coming of the Civil Rights Movement and the Vietnam War and the anti-war protests that followed. Through cunning and persuasion she managed to keep away major protests by the student body. In fact, many of her peers thought she would go on the be President of the United States.
In 1975, she married Bill Clinton and moved to Arkansas with him, even though she worried his political career would belittle hers. She achieved her first spot on a national stage when Bill Clinton became the Democratic nominee for president. Hillary went all out in campaigning for her husband, and came under harsh criticism for her liberal views. After she became First Lady, Clinton took a demanding role in the White House, approving eleven candidates for high-ranking positions. She also led the charge on the Clinton Healthcare Plan which required companies to provide health care through private companies. In 2001, she used her role as First Lady as a launching point to run for an open position as a Senator from New York. Winning this election made her the first First Lady to hold an elected office.

After losing the Democratic nomination in 2008, the soon President Barack Obama chose Hillary Clinton to be his Secretary of State. In the first half of her tenure (time in office), she made it known that the Obama Administration would be cleaning up mess of foreign policy left by the Bush Administration. Later in her tenure, her reputation was marred by the terrorist attack on Benghazi, and the subsequent finding that she was using her personal email for work, and had confidential information flowing through servers in her own house.

Secretary Clinton’s 2016 campaign for president has been heralded as a major step forward for women’s rights, and many long time Clinton supporters say that it’s about time that her presidential ambitions get filled. But let’s take a look at how she’s getting their, shall we. In her campaign, Clinton has so far won 1,243 delegates, and has 469 superdelegates (high ranking party members such as governors, members of congress, financial backers) currently claiming that they will vote for her at the Democrat GOP Convention. The system of superdelegates is a very strange institution to have in a country ruled by the people, since it gives nominees a massive number of votes that are not indicative of what the people want. An establishment nominee that has spent decades forming alliances in Washington, like Hillary Clinton, would have a much easier time becoming the nominee than someone like Bernie Sanders who is an outsider who doesn’t follow party norms, which is exactly what is happening in this race. If it were up to the people who the party claims to represent, Clinton and Sanders would be in a close tie, but the vast majority of superdelegates have joined forces to see that Clinton wins the nomination. But while this strategy is working now, depending on how well Sanders does in the upcoming primaries, the superdelegates may swing to his side.

It also must be said that Secretary Clinton seems say only what the people want to hear. Before the first Democratic debate, she had made little mention during her campaign of making college more affordable or of any education reforms. But in the next debates, after making college free became Bernie Sanders’ rallying cry, Clinton started talking about making college more affordable, and saying that it was in her plan all along. She has criticized his plan for being unrealistic, but she saw that it was getting him the young vote, so she followed in suit.