Filed under BPT, Headlines

Tragedy at Brussels

It was on Tuesday, March 22nd that the startling sound of explosions rang through the ears of the people who were at Brussels International Airport and also the metro station. Two of the bombs went off in the airport while the other went off at the train station, leaving a total of 35 people dead and at least 340 others injured. Another bomb was meant to go off and is believed to be the most powerful of them all, but it didn’t detonate.

Two of the bombs were carried in by three men, one suspected to be Najim Laachraoui (the maker of the bombs used in the Paris attacks), into the departure area of the airport before they went off. About an hour later, the next bomb went off at the train station. The terrorist organization known as ISIS has taken responsibility for these attacks and this incident occurred only four days after the arrest of Salah Abdeslam, another man suspected to be involved the attacks in Paris. Two other suspects in the bombings include Khalid El Bakraoui and his brother Ibrahim El Bakraoui. After the terror attacks, Brussels put down a Level 4 threat warning, which was then lowered to a Level 3 a few days later. Their main focus was on public areas such as other airports. They took their precautionary measures seriously by keeping a close eye on local activities, events, and the media. They also stepped up their security measure by deploying around 1,600 police officers to places such as airports.

The brutal attacks in Brussels and Paris have led other places such as France and Britain to take precautionary measures in order to ensure that similar attacks don’t happen. These attacks have been eye-opening to the increasing threat of terrorism and is causing many countries to be more vigilant and careful.