He’s the King of the World

Breaking News- Leonardo DiCaprio has finally won an Oscar! After defying the laws of science and the universe for 22 years, famous actor Leonardo DiCaprio has finally won an Academy award. This is was his sixth Academy Award nomination, the other ones were for What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, The Aviator, Blood Diamond, and two for The Wolf of Wall Street. It had even become a running joke that despite his many nominations he had never won an Academy Award throughout his whole career. DiCaprio won the Oscar for best Actor in a Leading Role for his performance in 2015’s The Revenant. The film was about Hugh Glass, a frontiersman who has to survive in the untamed winter wilderness after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by his companions. The critically acclaimed blockbuster film was described as “pristine in its grittiness” and a “grueling, exquisite, mystical, odyssey of survival”. He was up against stiff competition from the other nominees, Bryan Cranston in Trumbo, Matt Damon in The Martian, Michael Fassbender in Steve Jobs, and Eddie Redmayne in The Danish Girl. When Leonardo was announced as the winner, the crowd rose in a roaring applause. In his acceptance speech, Leo thanked all of his co-actors, the director of the film, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, and all the people that have helped him get this far in his career. With all of the superb movies DiCaprio has put out, this is hopefully a sign of things to come.