Filed under Central, Headlines, Showcase

Spirit Week Unites the Student Body

Students lined up showing off their flags on the stairway.

Skylynn Reyes '16 and Fernecia Smith '16 twin for multiples day.

J.P. Rossi ’16
Skylynn Reyes ’16 and Fernecia Smith ’16 twin for multiples day.

The week started off with Multiples Day where students dressed up with 2, 3 or more friends. The result was that the hallways were full of twins, triplets and quadruplets. Most of the people who dressed up were very close friends. Skylynn Reyes ’16 and Fernecia Smith ’16 have been best friends since Freshman year. “I was excited to twin with my best friend” said Smith. “It was a great start to my week”. Spirit week was off to a strong start with many seniors dressing up for this day.
Tuesday was pajama day. Most of the participants came in their regular pajamas and some of them even came in onesies. This was an especially comfortable day since pajamas are for more cozy than our regular uniforms. “I feel like Pajama Day would’ve been better on a Monday since we all feel lazy on this day. Still, it was very enjoyable.” said Ruben Roman ’16. It was much easier to get through the day with pajamas on.
The next day was the second most participated of the week. It was Decades Day and every decade from the 20’s to the 90’s was represented. Students mainly represented the 60’s and 90’s. The students were leaning towards being greasers and sporting the colorful style of the 90’s. During first period the seniors all gathered in the upstairs E hallway to take pictures. Once again, the day was off to a cheerful start. “Decades Day was by far my favorite day” said Erickson Rodriguez ’16 “because you got to see how people perceived each decade and their styles.”

Taina Vilorio '16 dresses up as a hippie for Decades Day.

Taina Vilorio ’16 dresses up as a hippie for Decades Day.

After Decades Day came by far the biggest day – Cultural Day. This was the day that had the most participation from seniors. Students came with jerseys, flags, and hats that represented their home country. There were countless countries being represented among the student body. It was really impressive to see so many countries and cultures come together all at once. “The diversity was really amazing” said Ashlin Ventura ’16. “I had no idea we had so many countries represented in our school.”

Brazilian seniors show off their country pride on Cultural Day.

Friday was Santa and Friends where students enjoyed dressing up as Santa, Mrs. Claus, elves and Rudolph. Though this day had less participation than the previous two it was still a jolly day. It definitely helped prepare the students and the staff for the holidays.
The week helped cheer up the students for the holiday season. The goal of Spirit Week is to unite the student body and help raise school spirit. This is exactly what Spirit Week accomplished. The seniors set the bar very high for the next year’s graduating class. Hopefully they will be able to live up to live up to their expectations.