Filed under Central, Headlines, Sports

Boys Cinderella Run Comes to an End

After an amazing start to the Class LL boys soccer tournament the HIlltoppers have been disqualified from the tournament due to an ineligible player. This is extremely unfortunate for the boys as they were hoping to bring the title back home to Bridgeport.

The team felt almost invincible after defeating East Hartford 2-0 in the first round. They followed this unlikely victory with wins over both Southington and Hall by scores of 4-0 and 1-0. Not only were the boys playing amazing ball, but they were gaining support throughout the state and were expected to go deep into the tournament.

Captains Andres Palacio and Yoel Salvador led the Hilltoppers to this great start with key saves throughout the tournament and a great offensive attack, respectively. Ryheim Hinds was also a great force in these three games as he was named to the ALL FCIAC 1st Team. The team was playing relentlessly as if they had already won the championship and didn’t want to lose the title of FCIAC CHAMPS.

Yoel Salvador was especially vocal throughout the tournament and completely distraught after the disqualification. After the 2-0 win against East Hartford he said “This win is going to motivate us even more and I have a lot of faith in our team. Today’s game was hard but we worked hard and won so we have to keep going.” He believed the team would win it all and made his teammates believe the same even at times in the games when they weren’t playing to their fullest capabilities.
Despite the heartbreak the boys experienced this year they have left a mark in FCIAC and will be feared next season. The departure of Salvador and Palacio will leave a void in the team’s morale but they are young and will compete every single game to get back to the point they were at this year and surpass it. The boys technically did not lose in this tournament despite the FCIAC writing that they were defeated by Hall 1-0. The HIlltoppers will come back next year even stronger and will unquestionably be in contention for the title. Stay tuned and come support the boys next season.